The history of the foundation of the factory goes back to the beginning of the last century. The 1st Kimry cooperative and trade artel of tailors in tailoring of men's and women's clothes was organized on September 20, 1925. The founders of which were V.S. Tumanov, I.A. Aleksandrov, V.N. Naryshkin, D.I. Korolev, M.M. Chizhov. The chairman of the board of the artel was elected VS. Tumanov, who later headed the Shveippromsoyuz in Kalinin.

The first customer of the artel was the "Arctic Snab", for which leather coats for flight personnel were made. Execution of orders in time with good quality helped the artel to increase production capacity year by year, increase the number of employees and gain authority. In 1933, it was renamed the Kimry Artel of tailors named after M. Gorky. Since that time, according to orders of the People's Commissariat of Defense, military uniforms have been sewn on it: greatcoats, jackets, coats and tunics.

Since 1939 the artel entered the system of the Oblshveypromsoyuz of the Kalinin Oblpromsovet and was subordinate to it until 1956. During the Great Patriotic War, production was rebuilt to produce products for the front. Such as, helmets for tankmen, epaulettes, quilted jackets, overcoats. The second-hand quilted jackets was delivered to the artel by barges down the Volga River, which had to be repaired and sent back to the front or to the workers' battalions. Transport was not enough and the artel workers, mostly women, manually unloaded, and then loaded back the finished products. Worked in the most difficult conditions, sparing no effort, guided by the main slogan: everything for the front, everything for victory.

In 1956, the artel was renamed the Kimry Garment Factory named after M. Gorky. Until 1960, it was subordinate to the Kalinin Oblmestprom, then it was accepted into the light industry of the Kalinin Soviet Council, and in 1963 it was transferred to the subordination of the Moscow Economic Council. Since 1959, together with the production of garments, the factory began to produce new products developed by Soviet scientists I. V. Petryanov, S. M. Gorodinsky, S. N. Shatsky, PI Basmanov - personal protective equipment for respiratory organs when working with radioactive substances - better known as respirators ShB-1 "Lepestok".

In the following years, mainly to the mid-sixties, the factory is fully specialized in the production of personal protective equipment, producing special clothes made of polymer materials. Since by that time all production facilities had been used only for the production of articles when working with radioactive substances, in March 1965 the factory was transferred to the State Committee for the Use of Atomic Energy. From that time it became known as the Kimrskaya Gorky Factory.

Since 1968, the factory is the only manufacturer in the country of analytical AFA aerosol filters, manufactured from AF materials. Filters are the basis for assessing the sanitary and hygienic state of air in the atmosphere and production facilities. With their help, the concentrations of air-dispersed admixtures in the air of cities, towns, cultural and entertainment, transport and other industrial premises are determined, both in normal and in emergency situations.

In the 70th and 80th years the enterprise successfully develops. The production of respirators reaches 70 million pieces per year, which was almost half of their production in our country. At the same time, new types of products are being developed - analytical AFA filters, products from thermoplastic materials. The nomenclature of special protective clothing is increasing. The products manufactured by the company are supplied to more than 20 countries in Europe, Asia, Africa.

Since 1994, the factory has become a JSC "Kimrskaya Gorky Factory".

Today, JSC "Kimrskaya Gorky Factory" is the leading specialized enterprise for the production of personal protective equipment for respiratory organs and skin during work with radioactive and aggressive substances. One of the most famous products is the respirators ShB-1 "Lepestok". Their fundamental difference from other domestic and foreign samples is a combination of high protective properties with minimal impact on the functional systems of the human body and the possibility of their adaptation to any form of face. This was achieved by using for the first time in the construction of respirators a new principle of obturation, based on the effect of electrostatic attraction of the fibers of the AF filter material to the skin of the face.

The design and optimal physiological and hygienic characteristics of the product were so unique and stable that, having passed the test of time, they did not change fundamentally. Over the past half a century, with the help of semiautomatic devices of A.F. Kobylkin and SM. Gorodinsky (KG-1) at the enterprise, more than two billion pieces of anti-aerosol and gas-mask aerosol respirators "Lepestok" were manufactured.

In addition, the factory produces hose isolating personal protective equipment when working with radioactive and other especially dangerous substances. These are pneumatic suits, pneumatic jackets, pneumatic helmets, pneumatic masks, special protective clothing and footwear. Since 2005, the factory management has taken a course for the technical re-equipment of the enterprise - replacing obsolete equipment with modern machines and automatic lines. The company introduced 37 pieces of equipment, among them automatic lines from the best world manufacturers.

In 2008, the production of new types of special protective clothing made of non-woven materials - overalls, semi-overalls, jackets, trousers, aprons, half-hats, armlets, shoe covers, hats.

Since 2009, to ensure import substitution, a large-scale project has been implemented to develop the production of a new series of respirators - respirators of the SPIRO series.

Respirators series "SPIRO" include virtually the entire range of existing in the world of filtering half masks.These are flat, molded and folding respirators made of the best domestic and imported materials. They have an exhalation valve. All three classes of protection FFP1, FFP2, FFP3 are issued, both anti-aerosol and with additional protection against gases and vapors that protect against "acid" gases and vapors of organic substances.

Specialists of the factory continue to work on the development of new models of respirators.

In 2011, thermoplastic automata of a new generation were put into operation (which made it possible to achieve consistently high quality of component parts, as well as reduce production costs), an automatic packing machine, rubber twisting equipment, equipment for impregnating materials used in the production of personal protective equipment respiratory organs.

Over the past years, in accordance with the established plan, a long-term program for the reconstruction of buildings and facilities of the main fund is being implemented. Members of the Board of Directors and the Management of the factory are constantly taking care of the working conditions of employees. The arrangement of the main production sites today corresponds to European standards, and surpasses them by a number of indicators.